Convert Bitbucket Mercurial repositories to Git
As mentioned in https://bitbucket.org/blog/sunsetting-mercurial-support-in-bitbucket, Bitbucket will stop support for Mercurial repositories per July 1, 2020 (the deadline was extended by 1 month).
How to convert your Mercurial repositories to Git? Simply follow these steps!
- Clone the https://github.com/frej/fast-export repository by running:
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:frej/fast-export.git
- Clone the Mercurial repository you want to convert:
hg clone ssh://email@example.com/your_username/your_hg_repository
- Create a new Git repository on Bitbucket and clone it:
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:your_username/repository.git
- cd into the cloned Git repository and run:
git config core.ignoreCase false
- Then, convert the Mercurial repository by running (this assumes fast-export and your Mercurial repository is cloned into your $HOME directory):
~/fast-export/hg-fast-export.sh -r ~/your_hg_repository/
- Checkout HEAD and push to the remote:
git checkout HEAD && git push
You can now delete your old Mercurial repository and continue using Git on Bitbucket.